Skip to main content

THE MATURITY OF GAMING

1 Corinthians 13:11: "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things."-NKJV

*If you want the original Septuagint translation go find it yourself.  


Video games. They get blamed for everything; violence, sexual debauchery and general sociopathic tendencies. 

They get blamed for everything except being vehicles of preserving and passing on culture and values throughout time. 

Many would argue that a grown person who plays video games is immature. They have much more productive things they could be doing instead of sitting in front of a TV with a controller in their hands. 

Of course, there is too much of a good thing. Some adults become addicted and neglect their responsibilities. This being a reality, I still would like to argue that gaming as one ages is not only a sign of maturity but an obligation to the universal language of survival skills.

In China, games are considered a pass time of the elders and one who can compete and win against them have achieved a right of passage. 

Yeah, so what? There is a difference between "Go" and "Dance, Dance Revolution."

Is there really much of a difference?

Does the dimension in which the game is played really determine the value on society?

Is it not about the interaction between two human beings?

Games teach strategy. They hone critical thinking and adaptive skills. All games do this. 

Even GTA (as violent and raunchy at times as it may be) teaches these skills.

Well, what about the desensitization is inflicts on our children?

Are you kidding me? Art reflects life, my dear. There ain't nothing going in in GTA that wasn't going on in every action movie, on the streets and on television. 

Hell, in cartoons folks are dropping pianos on each other and shooting holes in each other's heads. 

Trust me, it ain't the games that allow your child to become a sociopath. Its your shitty parenting or genetics. 

If gaming is so immature why are mature adults making millions of dollars off parents who run out and buy these games for their children.

I guess the message is its only immature if you aren't making money doing it or using it go pacify your offspring. 


But back to my point. One of the few guaranteed markets left for original (truly original) compositions of music is the gaming industry. 

One seldom hears samples in gaming music (not that sampling is bad).

I'm listening to the Tekken 7 OST right now while I'm at work. 

There are also scores of men, women, and youth that are employed as artists. They create the characters, the color schemes, the animation. 

Some games have even inspired fashion and retail. 

Now lets reveal those seldom discussed values that gaming instills in their community. 

RPGs such as DIABLO require collaboration to defeat certain enemies.

Games such as Zelda make you talk to those in your environment and investigate that which is misunderstood. 

Yes, you can do nefarious things in MMORPGs but most members of that community would label you an asshole and shun you.

There are games where you must learn to ration resources and know when to use them. 

There are games where your choices influence the storyline.

So far we got: teamwork, social acuity, resource management and accountability. 

Y'all need some more?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goon Elimination Techniques

If you love martial arts movies like I do then you already know the formula. ....but I'm not here to talk about that today. I showed up to blow up how those poor unfortunate souls tasked with protecting the bad guy get LAID OUT by the hero. 11. The Warning Yell. -Look, y'all bout to get fucked up. This is the emergency get-yo-ass-out the way broadcast system. This is not a test.   10 . Slappin' ya face! -These goons are so low level that an open hand and a yell is all it takes to get them out of the way. Some might mistake these moves for chops or pressure points. Naw, this be straight up pimpin' without the baby powder.  Yeah I know, she is using a shoe. But that shit is still funny!   The real Slap Attack! 9. Get Outta Here! -What Scorpion would do with these fools, the hero does the opposite. He or She literally shoves, flips, or kicks them out of the way. While finding themselves dazed and confused their brains are no longer required t...

TRYING ME 05/23/25

  There is this dumb, fake ass bitch at my job has been trying me since I was hired.  She's married, overweight and recently a new mother.  When I was hired, she was pregnant and I thought I would only be at the company until she returned from maternity leave.  Before she left, she made sure to act a complete ass towards me whenever possible.  While training me the Ukraine Russia conflict came up (this was back in the early stages). I made a comment (it was just me and her in the room) generally stating that Russia needs to stop flexing because it is affecting the US economy (and it was because we had to impose shipping fees on our customers etc.). This bitch proceeds to raise her voice and scold me about how people are dying and what not.  I let it go. I didn't say anything to her for 2 reasons:  1. The bitch was so pregnant I didn't want to put her into labor.  2. The bitch was so pregnant she obviously was miserable and cognitively impaired....
She used to laugh backs cracking breasts free as the sway of cane Her hair a basket woven by her peers her eyes stars embedded in an alabaster mask Her man moved the moon out of the way in the morning and the sun at night She used to sing rivers running a season in the sun and rain Her arms the bow and her kiss the arrow flying beyond the sky to grace the gods Her sister baked the bread of life on a stone and it was good and when she died  the earth wept When she rose there was rejoicing Her womb opened up and out sprung humanity How dare you maim her how dare you shame her Lords of folly be damned How dare you shackle her man feed him bleached dough until he bursts open to anything that comes his way She was free once and when she danced volcanoes erupted She watched the world change and you changed with it How dare you breathe and not honor her How dare you